Friday, July 11, 2008

New adventure...

I've been researching for several years trying to link my passions with an ability to earn extra money from home. Ok, I bet the rest of the universe is doing it too! I'm hoping I'm just a late bloomer and I will successfully take off in my new adventure. Yaro Starak's site really was quite informative and easy to read and understand. Coupled with a search for freelance blogging work...there's hope for me yet.


I'm a teacher, we all know that teaching is NOT a get rich career path, so why you ask do you travel that road? I stumbled on it inadvertently. I was a self-employed realtor in the 80's and 90's. When the market took a downturn, I started subbing to supplement my income. It was quite ideal actually. I was a mom of 2 at the time, both were school-age. So when snowdays occurred, I did not have to worry, I was off as well, summers off, holidays off, you know the drill.


I subbed for 7 years. My kids were heading for college when I decided I wanted to go back to school too. Becoming a student really helped me to transition through the empty nest syndrome and my recent divorce. In 18 months I earned my Master's in Computer Technology Education and with the help of a wonderful friend, I was hired as a full time teacher, with the condition that I needed to also earn a teaching certificate which meant 6 education classes.


Teaching has been wonderful. I've loved every minute of my 10 years and I am astounded with the wealth of information I have learned over these years as a teacher. The students continue to energize me!

Well, I'm now in my second half century of life and realize that my finances are not what they should be. I also would like to use my tech, writing and teaching passions to see if I can earn money from home part time.


So it is now time for me to take the plunge and to apply my hours of internet research, marry it to my thirst to use technology with my new goal of getting "published" and hopefully earn some extra money for my "golden years".

No comments: