Saturday, October 16, 2010

Life's Events, the beginning.

Strange how life happens. As an idealistic teen, I thought the world was at my feet, I could conquer anything I wanted to. So, did I?

Well, I certainly have experienced many things I'm happy about and a few...not so much. UMF is my first regret. That's right, as an 18 year old, I decided to attend a "teaching" college. I wish I would have given that school a little more time. Was one semester enough time to be able to know whether the school was a good fit for me? Ummmm, I thought so.  I left, and every now and again, I wonder how different my life would be today had I persisted. In retrospect, I was academically ready, but I don't think I was mentally prepared for
  • moving away from home (omg, an hour away)
  • life on a fairly remote campus
  • no mobility....no wheels meant I was limited to walking distance or bus
  • classes in general were not really any different than high school, and I had really hoped it would be
  • an extraordinary amount of availability of drugs and alcohol, not my cup of tea!
Enter the decision to not waste tuition dollars on an education that did not appear to fit "me".  Going on my education "roundabout" to a career has helped me to become the person I am today. Right? Still, I just wonder...? Next stop, medical secretary. From UMF, I transferred to a business college. Thought it was the place for me. Get an education that leads to a career in two years and get on with life. Never having experienced a business course in high school, I learned lots of new things, like, how to type! Quite a challenge followed by immediate gratification every time you shave an error off or increase your gwam stats. Ok, that's what I'm talking about! I excelled at Anatomy and Physiology, medical terminology, etc. I didn't like Western Civilization any more than I liked history as a junior and I found Art Fundamentals tolerably enjoyable. In the end, I ended a successful term in my new business school. I would say, I made an easy transition, enjoyed living at home, commuting daily to classes, 3 miles away and learning new things. I looked forward to the next term eagerly.

Mid-August, letter arrives from Bliss College. I ripped it open thinking it contained my new class schedule. Not quite. It was a letter announcing that the college had filed for bankruptcy and would not be opening its doors in September. Mom and I scurried. We brought transcripts to Auburn Maine School of Commerce and the good news, they admitted me into their program. The not so great news, it would still take two years to earn the certificate. I felt like I had just wasted a year of money, time and energy.

One year out of high school and I am entering college number 3. This school had a nice small campus, dedicated teachers and the classes were mostly interesting, though I really never used "shorthand".  Two years later and I feel prepared for a career as a medical secretary. I interned at St. Mary's Hospital and enjoyed every minute of it. Upon graduation, they hired me as a summer relief for medical records and radiology. I also floated into the Laboratory Department. By fall, I was offered full time status in the Lab as their medical secretary. It was a great place to work and the Director and Pathologists were inspiring. I worked diligently putting my best foot forward daily. Only drawback...every other Saturday morning, one of my tasks was to check the morgue, to see if a pathologist needed to be called in. Not a task I took to, but week after week, as I slowly opened the door to check, that slab was empty. My luck ran out about two months into the job. I opened the morgue door and there was a huge person with a white sheet covering him. I could NOT bring myself to go in and to check if an order existed for an autopsy. I walked back to the hematology department, the lead technologist was happy to "accompany" me for moral support. I walked all around the body and could not find the chart. I had to look under the sheet for it. Yes, I had to call a pathologist in. Needless to say, I was at the receiving end of many remarks that morning.

Regular work went well. My documents were professionally and accurately typed and filed. I greeted and processed patients needing blood work, life was good and wedding bells were ringing. About year later, however, I was in trouble. A nurse appeared at my office door with a pink bundle in her arms. I assumed a baby girl. I was excited and she quickly told me the baby was stillborn. My heart sank to my feet. An autopsy was needed. Nope, this is not what I want.

Year two at the hospital was one of reflection. I loved working in the hospital environment. I did not love working in the basement with morgue patrol as part of my duties. What was I supposed to be doing with my life? The Director and I had many conversations. We shared an office space. She was a wise woman. She said life was like stones across a stream. You pick and chose which rocks to use as you trek across the stream, and when to jump.

No comments: